- Answer: for this you will simply have to use the straightedge to draw two parallel lines and then you draw a line that goes through them that is perpendicular. You then use the compass to measure the angles, they should be congruent and adjacent. I hope it helps, Regards.
How can you use a straightedge and a compass to construct an angle that is both congruent and adjacent to a given angle?
Answer Expert Verified
Answer: for this you will simply have to use the straightedge to draw two parallel lines and then you draw a line that goes through them that is perpendicular. You then use the compass to measure the angles, they should be congruent and adjacent.
How do you construct a copy of an angle using a compass and straightedge?
- Using a straightedge, draw a reference line, if one is not provided.
- Place a dot (starting point) on the reference line.
- Place the point of the compass on the vertex of the given angle, ∠ABC (vertex at point B).
- Stretch the compass to any length that will stay “on” the angle.
How do you construct with a compass and straightedge?
The most-used straightedge and compass constructions include:
- Constructing the perpendicular bisector from a segment.
- Finding the midpoint of a segment.
- Drawing a perpendicular line from a point to a line.
- Bisecting an angle.
- Mirroring a point in a line.
- Constructing a line through a point tangent to a circle.
What does congruent mean?
Congruent means same shape and same size. So congruent has to do with comparing two figures, and equivalent means two expressions are equal.
What are the steps in constructing congruent angles?
Draw an arc that crosses both rays of the original angle.
- Set the point of the compass at point B, the vertex of the original angle, and draw an arc that crosses both Ray BA and Ray BC. You do not need to draw an entire circle.
- For reference, mark the points where the arc crosses the rays as points X and Y.
How do you construct a copy of an angle with a compass?
Refer to the figure as you work through these steps:
- Draw a working line, l, with point B on it.
- Open your compass to any radius r, and construct arc (A, r) intersecting the two sides of angle A at points S and T.
- Construct arc (B, r) intersecting line l at some point V.
- Construct arc (S, ST).
How do you construct a 45 degree angle with a compass?
45 Degree Angle
- Construct a perpendicular line.
- Place compass on intersection point.
- Adjust compass width to reach start point.
- Draw an arc that intersects perpendicular line.
- Place ruler on start point and where arc intersects perpendicular line.
- Draw 45 Degree Line.
Why is it important to use a compass and straightedge?
The compass and straightedge is more important in constructing geometric structures than other drawing tools such as rulers and protractors. Because steps taken with a compass and straightedge cannot be seen at first glance and this situation become a problem for students.
Why is doubling cubes and squaring circles impossible?
This is because a cube of side length 1 has a volume of 13 = 1, and a cube of twice that volume (a volume of 2) has a side length of the cube root of 2. The impossibility of doubling the cube is therefore equivalent to the statement that 3√2 is not a constructible number.
What is the first step in constructing a congruent segment?
Two segment is said to be congruent segment if the measure of both segments are same and identical to each other. So, for drawing congruent segments firstly we have to measure the segment. Then draw a point. and lastly draw a ray.
What is a congruent segment?
Congruent angles are angles that have the same measure. Congruent segments are segments that have the same length. Two points (segments, rays or lines) that divide a segment into three congruent segments trisect the segment. The two points at which the segment is divided are called the trisection points of the segment.
When bisecting segments and angles which step is the same?
⇒So, to bifurcate something that is segments and angles, you need either a line or line segment. ⇒So, the two steps which are same is, when bisecting segments and angles is, Option A→Draw a ray with one endpoint. Option C→Draw a ray from the vertex to another point.